Need A Problem Solved?
We Have The Services To Help You!

The Department of Public Works (DPW) employs 16 full time employees and 3 part time employees. The department resolves most requests on the same day they are received. Wayne’s DPW is responsible for 58.53 miles of City streets, and

  • Maintaining City trees 
  • Supervising the removal of approximately 9,800 tons of refuse each year
  • Maintains 84 miles of Water Main Lines
  • Maintains 84 miles of Sewer Main Lines

Water & Sewer Rates

The Water and Sewer Fund Budget has been reviewed, approved and adopted for the 2021-22 fiscal year.  Sufficient water and sewer rates need to be approved to provide money to operate the system.  Effective for all consumption billed on or after July 1, 2021, the following rates are authorized:                                                  

Rates per 1,000 gal.

Water   Sewer   Total         
$7.80   $7.75   $15.55     


Monthly Fixed Fee's

                 Wayne Water     Wayne Sewer
                 Approved           Approved
Meter Size
1 or less         11.58             8.16
1.5               26.06              18.36
2                  46.32              32.64
3                104.22              73.44
4                185.28             130.56
6                416.88             293.76
8                741.12             522.24
10 or larger  1,158.00        816.00


For information regarding other water & sewer fees such as IWC charges, monthly meter fees, etc. contact the water billing clerk at 734-722-2005.

The City of Wayne has partnered with Simple Recycling to offer a convenient way to recycle Clothing and Housewares for Free at your curb on your regular recycling day.

Use the provided green “Simple Recycling” bags to recycle unwanted clothing and housewares in re-usable condition.

Place bags beside regular trash and recycling container on your normal pickup day.



Click here to order additional bags free of charge.

Fire Hydrant Maintenance Fire Hydrant flushing begins

Every year, the City of Wayne Department of Public Works performs work to winterize fire hydrants. During this process, Public Works employees will flow hydrants which may occasionally cause residents and businesses to experience rusty water. If you experience rusty water, please allow your water to flow until clear. It is recommended that you do not do laundry or use water for food preparation until it flows clear. If the problem persist, please contact the DPW at (734) 721-8600.

Illicit Discharges / Water Pollution

To report an illicit discharge or water pollution please call the Wayne County Department of Enviironment Reporting Hotline (734) 995-2198

Other Available Numbers

MDEQ Assistance Center (800) 662-9278

MDEQ Pollution Emergency (800) 292-4706

If you have questions please call the DPW at 734-721-8600

To help keep everyone's water bills lower

Save Water

We are asking residential and commercial water users to control water usage during peak hours. Please set automatic irrigation systems to run during the non-peak hours between 11:00 pm and 5:00 am. For commercial and industrial users, please set water recovery tanks and other water storage units to fill during this same non-peak time period whenever possible.
Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Christmas Tree Collection
Trees are collected during regular trash pick up through mid January.

The DPW will answer your questions regarding:

  • Street signs
  • Debris along City streets and right-of-way areas
  • Fire hydrants – both public and private (The City offers a private property maintenance contract)
  • Grading and dust control of City dirt roads
  • Street sweeping 
  • Pavement line marking
  • Surface maintenance and drainage on City streets

Glenwood CemeteryGlenwood Cemetery
The City of Wayne owns Glenwood Cemetery, located on Glenwood Rd., west of Venoy Rd. For information contact (734) 721-8600.

                                                                                                                                                                                            Private Property
For questions or complaints involving private property or a possible ordinance violation, please call the City of Wayne Ordinance Department at (734) 728-9100.

Recycling Center
The Recycling Center is located just west of the DPW Office next to the Animal Shelter. It’s open Mon-Fri from 7:00am to 3:30pm except for holidays. Acceptable Items: newspapers, glass, tin, aluminum, batteries and plastics. By law the City can not accept motor oil.

RefuseAutomated Pickup Trucks
Call Republic Waste  for special pickup of bulk items at 1-800-878-4626.Acceptable items at curbside are all appliances, including stoves, washers, dryers, hot water tanks, dishwashers, etc.. which are picked up at the curb on collection day. Refrigerators must have their doors taken off.

Not Accepted at Curbside
These items are not acceptable for curbside pick up:

  • Hazardous materials – drugs, chemicals, medical waste, explosives, etc.
  • Construction and demolition materials
  • Tree stumps weighing over 50 lbs
  • Car parts

Acceptable Receptacles
Size: Metal, plastic, fiberglass, etc. 5 to 30 gallons.
All receptacles must have handles and tightly fitting covers. Plastic refuse bags, for garbage only, must have a capacity of minimum of 10 gallons through a maximum of 30 gallons.
Weight: Maximum of 50 lbs.


Non-acceptable Receptacles
Paper shopping bags and cardboard containers are prohibited.

Refuse Collection Schedule
Your refuse will be collected according to the City’s established schedule. Your scheduled pick up day will change as a result of one of the following holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. If your regular day happens to fall on one of those holidays, your refuse will be collected on the day following the holiday. Click here to view or download and save the Refuse Pickup Schedule Map.

Yard Waste
Yard waste is collected on regular collection days beginning the week of April 1st and continuing through the week of December 15th. Yard waste is: grass clippings, leaves, very small twigs, potting soil, garden fruits and vegetables, and old flowers.  Yard waste can no longer be placed in plastic bags. 

Here’s what you should do:

Separate yard waste from regular trash by about 10 ft.

  • Mark the yard waste containers with "Yard Waste" stickers. The stickers are available at City Hall or the DPW.
  • Cut branches into 3 ft. lengths and tie them into bundles that weigh no more than 50 lbs. each.

Sewer Problems
If you have a sewer-related problem, call DPW during normal hours. If you spot the problem on a holiday, the weekend or after normal business hours, please contact the Police Department at (734) 721-1414. DPW personnel determine if the problem is in your sewer line or the City’s sewer main and counsel you regarding your options.

Snow Removal
If the City has a snowfall of 4 in. or more, residents are asked not to park on public streets. You will be notified via the general media when the snow emergency is over and street parking is once again allowed. The DPW clears major roads first, then residential streets, dead-end streets and cul de sac areas.


Residents can report streetlight outages directly to DTE via their website at this link DTE Energy or contact the Public Works Department at 734-721-8600

The City of Wayne has been designated as an official Tree City U.S.A.  Contact the DPW for more information.  City trees are normally trimmed as part of a routine maintenance schedule and upon request, by either DPW personnel or a contractor under DPW supervision. Trees are only removed if they are dead, dying, diseased or dangerous. Trees are not removed due to root damage to sidewalks, yards or sewer lines.

DTE Energy periodically does tree trimming for line clearance.  Here is a link to their website for more information.


Water Billing
If you have a concern about your water bill, contact the Water Billing Clerk at (734) 722-2005.

Water Leaks
Please report water main breaks or water leaks to the DPW. If you discover a break after normal business hours, on holidays or the weekend, please call the Police Department at (734) 721-1414.

Other Services - Provided by Utility Companies

Problem with Video/ Cable?

If you can't resolve a problem with your video/cable company directly, call the Michigan Public Service Commission at 866-552-7725. find out more here.

Excavating – Call Miss Dig
By law, anyone excavating  must call Miss Dig so that existing utilities can be located. The number is 1-800-482-7171 – and there is no charge for the service.

Gas Leaks
If you smell gas in or around your home, call 911 and report it to the Wayne Fire Department.